I definitely will take the time to get it running, I got the engine from a friend of mine so it wasn't someone try to lay something off on me so I believe him about the three months. I was wondering about using penetrant like PB Blaster, or WD 40. I prefer PB but wasn't sure about using it in that situation. I'll be putting this stuck 250 on the engine stand and working on it as soon as I get the first engine in the truck. I will try to get it running withouth pulling the head first too.

... and about that engine I just got running... Whoa daddy it runs strong... I left the 4bbl intake on it since everything was already on there, and I got a 2bbl adapter and bolted a good 2bbl I had laying around to it. I got everything all rigged up, I even have a full exhaust setup with glasspacks on it sticking out the garage door.

After replacing a leaky radiator (why do I keep those things around???) and a bad starter solenoid, I didn't get a distributor prime tool, so I dropped a little bit of oil in each cylinder and immidiately filled the engine with 5 qts of oil, spun the fan a good number of times, and it felt really smooth. Next I installed the spark plugs and started cranking the starter. I tried starting it off and on for about 20 min fiddling with wiring and letting the carb clear out in case it was flooding and making sure the starter didn't get too hot. More and more it tried to start. Finally right when I expected it to, whamo it started up and idled perfectly. No smoke at all after burning off the little bit of oil I put in the cylinders. I lightly revved it and it wrapped up quickly. Good oil pressure. No stumbling or sputtering at all, just felt super powerful. Yeah, this engine is going in my truck, and I will be selling the engine in the truck now. I was worried how the engine stand would be when it was started but it didn't move an inch...

I have my valve cover that is cut on top so I can see the rockers and adjust the valves and it appears they all need adjusting as they are all tapping. I am assuming just because it was sitting so long it may need some readjustment due to spring wear as Larry suggested. Otherwise it sounds like a real winner. Also maybe it's a marine thing, but the head has the deep spark plug holes too, I put R44LTSM in it and I ran the casting # and it says it is a 230, 250 or 292 haha !

Here's a video so you can hear it running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sVrPWN8ePw

76 Chevy Stepside with a '68 230ci