Your're correct, I meant to say "over 4", instead of stating an actual stroke(it was getting late)! I haven't seen the book published by Leo, but he consulted with my mentors for much of his text and the techniques he uses today. Much of the procedures for attempting such a task, begins with the crankshaft. We would start by grinding the counterweights down to a predetermined height in a crankgrinder, and also knife-edging the leading and trailing edges of the counterweights.We also would weld up any factory balance holes that were left, to leave a smooth transition on the OD of the counterweights. Then to compensate for the material that was removed from there, we would scallop out the front and rear side of each rod throw, and then we would balance the crank. We would then grind the journals to fit our bearing clearances. Then send the crank out to be nitrided. The rotating assembly was made up of aluminum Super Rod brand connecting rods about a 1/2" longer than stock, and the pistons were Venolia. Total compression was around 15-1/2 to 1. The down side to all that work, was that you could only expect about 20 quarter mile passes before the crank would break. But competing and being at that top extreme level in Competition Eliminator is the high cost of it! Dollar figure wise the bulk of the cost was in the labor for the crank and head(lump port style), it was absorbed by the shop, because it was a family operation and "house car". I hope to be compiling my own account of this racing technology soon and reveiling more actual "speed secrets" for the 250 and 292 with photos and all based on my experience in that area.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer