Hank, I got this from a Nova forum, and I've seen it in Nova factory service manuals, so I'm reasonably sure that it's correct.

"I just want to point out one thing. The 8.2 rearend with 28 spline axles did not come in the Chevy II until they upgraded to 5 lugs in 64. The 62 and 63 cars used a different axle with 17 splines. That is the main reason to swap in a 64-67 rear when upgrading to 5 lugs. The 5 lug replacement axles available aftermarket will not work on a 62 or 63 8.2 rearend.
I also want to suggest that the reason "Joliet Jake" tore up his rearend was probably because it was a 4 speed car. Unless your running a very high stall converter, the turbo trans will not shock the rear like a manual trans will.
I own a 62 convertible with all stock suspension and drivetrain. It's not very impressive to look at, I know. Under the hood is a mild 350 V-8 with a 4 barrel and dual exhaust. The powerglide has been replaced with a 350 turbo trans. I normally drive this car with care but on occasion I have been know to get next to a 5.0 mustang or camaro on the highway. When I stand on it, the right rear tire will usually break loose and after that stops spinning the car will hit 90-100 quicker than your average grocery getter. My point is, without positraction, I don't break anything. I have burnt through a few 13" right rear tires but the 4 lugs are still in tact. So, it is possible to put a few more ponies in a stock 62-63 Nova and enjoy driving it, if your careful. Make sure you have room to stop and put in some frame connectors before you make any other mods."

If you want to check for yourself, go to Novas.net and check their forums. That's not a link, you'll have to put that in a browser or search engine. Thanks.

Formerly known as 64NovaWagon.