Well, that is a question with no simple answer. The short answer is to flow the head and publish the info and let everyone figure out what they want to do with induction and lower end and its done.

The longer answer - the way it should be done and the way I wanted to see it through is as follows:

Once the cylinder head is cut up, flowed, photographed, modified and flowed again and modified again and flowed again etc until its completed, then the bulk of the information is gathered.

Then it is a matter of collecting all of the info in the head and publishing it or posting it so there is enough detail it can be understood by everyone - novice and expert alike.

Then we get this info so cam grinders or our vendors (plug for Patrick Dykes here) can analyze the cams available and if one is available to complement the cylinder head and lower end work that has been chosen. If not, they see about designing new cams. My feeling is that the cam companies probably have profiles that are so close to what we want to do, that it wont be necessary to redesign a cam.

At the same time, the induction systems, ignition, exhaust, pistons manufacturers (I was going to ask my long time friend Nick Arias for help here) etc. should be analyzed in the same manner as the cams above. They can be matched or modified to the head and the cam. Again, I think regarding most of this is, we already know what works best in most circumstances. For example, we tell Nick Arias what we want to do and give him the specs so far and he will come up with the right piston in about 10 minutes.

The whole reason I wanted to get involved is because I have never seen any raw empirical numbers on any of this. I am convinced my 235 can be tweaked a bit here and there to improve its efficinecy. I just dont know where the little improvements can be made, which ones would be cost effective and how much of an improvement (by numbers) can be made. So I decided to spend way too much money that I dont have, and invest time i don't really have to help figure this out. And maybe I could have some fun with it and along the way make a few parts (like my valve cover project) to make the 235 in my 56 just a little different, and get to know people I have never met.

Well, I am happy to say, I have done all 3 so far!!! I believe the key to it is to let Scott do what he has to do. he is smart and will figure it out on his time. Once that is done we can go forward with the rest of it. For decades everyone knows that the cylinder head is the key to the 235 series engines. We just need some raw numbers to see what it really is, and then publish the info correctly.

Last edited by 6inarow I.I. #1475; 11/08/08 01:43 PM.

Tom
I.I. #1475