I know that the 292 can be built to take higher RPMs, but it seems that that takes lots and lots of $.

Was wondering from a more stock standpoint what would make more sense for a basic affordable novice race engine out of either. Seems to me that the 250 would be able to handle higher rpms in the more stock format with the shorter stroke. The fact that they can use 307 pistons also seems like a benefit. It also makes sense that they would get more benefit from a larger cam due to the smaller displacement (ie. 292 cam in a 250). It also seems that they should be able to take the same sorts of internal modifications that the 292 would take to gain horsepower (ie. lump ports, smoothing, crank mods, 194 head, decking, etc).

I know the weakness in the 250 is the front head bolt hole and that it is suseptable to cracking, but all things considered, wouldn't it make more sense from an economic point of view to go with the 250?

I'm only asking because I hear stories of the low rpm limit of the 292. I recent scored a 250 for very cheap that I am stashing away for a future project. I'd like to eventually get involved in some racing, either drag or landspeed. Wondering if it is worthwhile to stay with the 250 or if a upgrade to the 292 is really necessary to be competitive in a I6 class. I'm am completely ignorant to the racing classes at this point so if I am making assumptions, I appologize.

I know they always say "no replacement for displacement". But mechanical strengths seem to come into play and make you consider the benefits/drawbacks.

'40 Studebaker project Chevy 292 powered.
'51 Chevy business coupe 216ci inliner
Inliner's #5360