Quote:
Was wondering from a more stock standpoint what would make more sense for a basic affordable novice race engine out of either. Seems to me that the 250 would be able to handle higher rpms in the more stock format with the shorter stroke. The fact that they can use 307 pistons also seems like a benefit. It also makes sense that they would get more benefit from a larger cam due to the smaller displacement (ie. 292 cam in a 250). It also seems that they should be able to take the same sorts of internal modifications that the 292 would take to gain horsepower (ie. lump ports, smoothing, crank mods, 194 head, decking, etc).

I think a 250 is the better way to go, even though I have raced 292's from day one. I feel the 250 has a better bore to rod ratio to make hp. A lump head would better suit that displacement also. A 250 has a power band like a small block v8. Parts like blocks and cranks are easy to find.

Now, with that being said a 292 will make big power too. It takes more specialized parts to make them work. For the novice builder like me, it took some dyno time to figure out where the power is in these motors. I'm not saying I have it 100% figured out either but we are closer to it.
A 292 is like a 800ci v8. A small bore w/a large stroke on the crank. These motors do not like to rev or rpm.

My .02 cents Steven