Originally Posted By: gearhead

Keep in mind that it isn't simply a matter of using a NWC S10 tailhousing, as they were made with both mech and electrical setups. It HAS TO BE a NWC with mech sender, period.

Hopefully they are aware of the two different oil funnel types that were used, and that they use the correct one based on the tailhousing, not the gear set.

I would send it back. Make sure you CYA finacially on it, though.

Originally Posted By: gearhead
One more thing, The gear on the tailshaft is in the correct location. All S10 T5's use the same location, which is about 7" from the end of the tail housing. My purpose in showing you the "modified" location was so you would be aware of what needs to be done should it still have the Camaro tailshaft. Since it doesn't, don't worry about it.
All he needs to do is swap out the housing, and giving you the right slug/gear that goes in the hole would be nice too.

One other thing to keep in mind is the clip that holds the gear to the shaft.
All WC S10 T5's are electric senders.
You can not swap NWC and WC tailshafts.
What I'm getting at is that there is a small blind hole in the shaft which is used to locate the gear clip, and there is also a blind hole to locate the positive stop steel ball on the reluctor tailshafts. These holes are different sizes. If you use the gear clip on a tailshaft that was meant for the reluctor (which is what you have going on), the fit will be sloppy and may cause erratic needle bounce because thegear can move back and forth on the shaft because of the larger hole.
Drilling a smaller hole in the shaft for the clip would be the solution.

If this is at all confusing, PLEASE let me know, and I will call you. It is alot easier to discuss certain things over the phone than through a forum...

So, lets see if I understand correctly. I took a look at the tech tips and your post.

From what I gather, I would need to swap out the tailshaft housing with one from a NWC S-10 that is setup for a mechanical sender. I would also need to modify the placement of the speedo gear.

I think I may try to do this myself. As far as CMA financially, I am worried. Sunday, the guy told me that he'd send me info so I could ship the transmission to him free of charge. I'm made several phone calls, left messages and sent emails. Still nothing. I am thinking that I should just tell him to send me the the tailshaft/tailshaft housing(NWC S-10, mech) and see if he'll throw in the bellhousing/clutch setup I plan on using, since he'll be saving a ton on shipping.

Gearhead - If I have this wrong still/sound confused, let me know and I will call you. Let me know a good time/day.

From what I am told, I think I am going to try and use the bellhousing and hydraulic clutch setup from a camaro. There is a guy on another website that used this setup in this 67 Chevy II.
I will have to modify a crossmember, but I hope that I'll be able to do this in my class ('beginning street rod building').

Last edited by 63ChevyII; 12/24/08 09:55 PM.