Originally Posted By: Mean buzzen half dozen A.K.A. Hank
When drilling & tapping cast iron.
You never use any cutting oils,wax etc,nothing!!!! period.

I worked @ a machine shop,that machined Turbonetics turbine housings & other products of theres,no cutting fluid on CNC mill,tapping etc. Do not use any cutting fluid.

Another friend of mine owns a cylinder head shop,same thing,never use cutting fluids or oils on any casat iron etc.

OOHH B.T.W.,,,,
Did I say do not use cutting fluids???

Quote" less chance of binding the tap or breaking "
Wrong!!! using cutting fluids on cast iron will make it grab your tap & break it,do not use fluid for cutting cast iron.
http://books.google.com/books?id=7eaCQoB...num=4&ct=result

There might be some hybrid/special cutting fluids,paste or other stuff,available now,,,but I have not heard about it,anyone?

MBHD
I agree. Another reason not to use it in a CNC machine, is the coolant will make the cast iron dust in the machine rust. Once it mixes with the coolant, it will cause rust spots on parts you run long after you are through with the cast iron job. Plus cast iron dust is very abrasive and harsh on the coolant pumps, and way and lead screws, etc. People that dont work with it very often don't see that aspect of it. I would much rather prefer aluminum or stainless or even Ti over cast iron any day....

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer