Hi everyone! I just joined around here but been watchin' the site for a while.. I am a fan of inliners and have a couple myself, but what I'm really here for is this relatively new Vortec 4200.

The technology in it is nothing radical to me, all my experience with inline sixes has been from imports, and Toyota, Nissan, BMW, and others have built similar technology inlines (DOHC, 24V, variable cam phasing) for decades.

That said, I really want to put this engine in one of my cars. What I really need, though, is external dimensions for the 4200. I need someone who has one, to go measure how tall, long, & wide it is in different places, and give me an idea as to the size of this thing so I can figure out if I have a chance of fitting it in one of my cars or not. I'd rather not buy one just to find out its 4 inches too tall to fit under the hood.

Also, on engine management, I have an idea.. it might not work at all, but then again it just might...

Toyota has a motor they have used in several different models through the years, called the 2JZGE. It is the same motor used in the Supra, the Lexus SC300, and the Lexus IS300 here in the States, as well as a few other models it was put into in the Japanese domestic market. It is a 3-liter inline six, with coil-on-plug ignition, variable cam phasing, a regular cable-operated throttle body, and was available in several models with a factory manual transmission... the Supra Turbo uses this engine in its boosted form, the 2JZGTE. It also uses the R154 manual transmission, which just so HAPPENS to bolt up to the 4200 with the Colorado's bellhousing...

So I'm thinking, if I'm going to use the Supra's transmission, why not use its brain too? There is huge aftermarket support for this ECU, and it already is set up to use COP ignition and VVT (cam phasing)... why not fool it into thinking the 4200 is a big bad supra motor?

And before you ask, no this is not going into a Supra, its going into my 1986 Toyota Cressida (Toy's top of the line 4-door luxury sedan back then, before they invented the "Lexus" brand). The cressida came stock powered by an externally large inline six, the 5MGE, which also happens to be front-sump! Its like the 4200 was destined to go in there to replace the tired old 160hp sixer thats in there now! \:D

I just need those measurements to know if it can work...

Also if I do this I will look into the possibilities of the Supra ECU thing and post a writeup here.