sorry guy's, i have not been following this thread.

i have done the saginaw 3 sp o/d conversion with a 4 spd sag. it works great. ask greybeard here on the brd. you will need both tranny's and the 3 spd o/d fully synchroed version is hard to find. if you take the o/d portion apart and rebearing it/seals or whatever, you will then wonder how it ever goes back together. without this trick you will be S.O.L. a firm rubber band is used to hold the o/d together long enough to assy. it will be left in the assy and eaten by the trans after running.

anyway, the better choice is the MY6 made by new process. it used to be a chrysler A833 4 speed back in the day and then morphed into a O/D with new process.
gm used them in 1/2 ton pickups with 6 & 8 cyl in 2 wd and 4 wd configurations. it uses a external shifter simuliar to a muncie or saginaw. it will certainly hold up behind a 6 and even towing. gear ratios are the same as a 700r4. the are the same length as a saginaw or muncie 3 or 4 sp. same input and outputs also.
the were 2 different bellhousings used for the gm applications. on one the bolt pattern is all the same as a saginaw. the other is 1/2 gm and 1/2 mopar bolt patterns, this used a unique bellhousing. they also used a front bearing retainer that is 5 1/8 in diameter while the sag/munc car bearing retainer is 4 5/8. the retainer can be machined to fit a car bellhousing.

i have a bunch of these trannies that i would part with.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com