I'm very interested in this topic. I was seriously considering this engine to power my '54 Chev sedan delivery until someone steered me to a website for owners of the vehicles these engines came in (don't remember which site). The constant dissatisfaction of owners on this site were that although the engine is rated at 270 hp, the thing didn't really 'come on' until they reached higher rpms. Now I'm not really a 'HiPo' guy myself so I'm looking for an engine that would give my good low end performance around town and decent power and mileage when in OD on the big road.
Well, just this weekend I got to work on and subsequently test drive a '03 Trailblazer with this powerplant. Not real impressive, but I had to realize that the vehicle weighs in around 4700 lbs. - curb weight.
I'm sold on Electronic fuel inj./engine management so my next consideration for an engine would be a 250 (which I have) with a TBI/megasquirt setup in front of 4L60.
But I've not commited to either yet so will be watching for more input into this thread

'54 Chev Sedan Delivery
'56 Ford F-100
'57 Ford F-100
'71 Chev C10 Pickup
'76 HD