MS testing time...
I'm doing some garage testing too.. got a couple of items to test and sort out:

Completed - 1) a new MS3.0 Main board & MS2 processor - works on the bench ok - going out to plug it into the truck.

Completed - 2) convert to MS2extra code... still using ford EDIS module and EDIS coil pack.

#3 Completed... I'll post a quick video later. It took a couple of good backfires until I sorted a wiring issue out \:\) BOOM BANG BOOM Then fixed it and hit the key - instant start! Much less cranking than when I'm running the EDIS module.

3) then convert to direct fire (coils fired directly from Megasquirt without the EDIS module) the coils - 3 pairs of 2 coils - coil on plug but wasted spark mode using the 36-1 timing wheel pick up that now triggers the EDIS module reconnected into the new MS box so I get direct timing input - fire the motor and set the base timing. This will prove the ability to fire the stock GM COP coils.

On to the the biggie..

I sent the engine timing diagram tonight to the software dude to get an idea for an initial setup.. hopefully by tomorrow I have an answer. Then out to the shop to test... more BOOM BANG BOOM WHOOSH flame...

I'll install the MSextra test code into the new MS box - connect one coil (#1) with a spark plug just grounded on the outside of the motor, so I can get a timing light on the short plug wire between the coil and spark plug. I'll connect the new MS box to the GM crank trigger sensor.

Then I'll re-connect the original MS box installed running the ford EDIS module with the timing control input to the EDIS box unplugged I'll get fixed timing at 10* BTDC.

Then I'll run the motor on the EDIS box and orginal MS box - check the timing using the timing light to see where is its at.

With the engine running I'll try and get the MSextra test code triggering off of the GM crank trigger to sync up and fire the one coil at the right time - I'm guessing it'll take a software fix or 2 to get it right.

Once all is good then I'll connect the new MS box with the MSextra beta test code up to all 6 coils as in #3 above and run the motor off of the GM crank trigger and the 6 coils in wasted spark mode.

What this will do is free everyone who wants to run this motor from the GM electronics ( and Westers Garage choke hold on modifying the stock GM electronics) and eliminate the need to install a custom trigger wheel. the only mechanical mod will be to install cable type throttle body.

This will bring the cost of conversion down a chunk. A pre-built MS that will run this motor is pricing out about US$400.

Once I get this s/w tested I'll be able to supply a good tuneup file for the MS that folks can install (its easy - if you can open a windows file and click 1 button in the s/w your good to go). If all the wiring and fuel supply is good turn the key == brummm.

Last edited by efi-diy; 03/03/09 02:38 AM.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them