You can you any 2003 4L60E(65E,70E) that came behind either this engine or a LS series engine. If you get one from a LS series engine just change the bell housing to the atlas series.

Installation is less difficult than an earlier 700R4 as there is no throttle cable hook up. There are several options to control the transmission from simple to elegant.

Simple - replace the line pressure control solenoid with a vacuum modulator kit from trans-go. Then manually shift the transmission using 2 toggle switches.

With the manual shift leaver in OD(4th gear):

on == switch closed, one side connected to the solenoid the other side connected to ground.

gear 1-2 solenoid 3-4 solenoid

1 on on
2 off on
3 off off
4 on off

Use a factory GM vacuum switch from a early '80's GM vehicle to control the lock converter. If you find that the lock is too slow there is a simple (but permanent) modification that can be made to the valve body to eliminate the lock up feel oil circuit- I've done it on my truck and it works well.

There are several aftermarket controllers for this trans. the megasquirt boys also have transmission control in beta testing - I'll be restarting testing on it as soon as the little white ball bearings disappear. P275-60R15 tires don't mix well ..

Getting the entire engine/trans from the same vehicle is a very good idea. Also take the entire engine wiring harness.

The next question you need to answer is what do you want to use for the computer? GM or aftermarket?

There are advantages each way.

Last edited by efi-diy; 02/28/09 10:46 PM.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them