Originally Posted By: jalopy45 II#4899
What is there to stop a person from running a conventional distributor off the cam and lose the ECU and coil packs? I'm thinking more along the lines of a carb induction engine in street car with minimal electronics. The head and combustion chamber design seems to be the main factors for the horsepower. Then figure out how to deal with or modify the variable exhaust timing which I think is responsible for the torque curve. I know I'll get lectured now but I'm ready, after all if I thought like the mainstream everything I own would be bent 8's.

Nothing stopping you except its a bunch of work. Jerry W. mounted a dist. running off of the exhaust cam. but kept the injection. I think he disposed of the VVT in the process. Ditto for the carb. All the comp eliminator racers using this engine are running carbs since the rules don't allow efi.

I'm just really curious what is underlying reason to want to run a dist. not to put anyone down or lecture but more to understand. Is it the comfort factor or ????? I'd really like to know. If your more comfortable off line then send a message.

For information to get the coil on plug ignition working using a ( I know that pesky) megasquirt. We need 8 wires + 1 vacuum hose. ( lets see here 6 plug wire + a coil wire + 12 volts to the coil + a wire from the dist. to the coil = hmm 9 wires ;\) )

The wires are:
+12 from the ignition switch (hot in run and crank) to each coil via a 15 amp fuse
Gnd from each coil to a common ground point on the block.
Coil trigger A going to coils 1&6
Coil trigger C going to coils 5&2
Coil trigger B going to coils 3&4
2 wires going to the crank trigger.

Also needed is a +12 volt wire (hot in run and crank)to power the MS and a 3 ground wires running to the common ground point on the block.

The vacuum hose runs from the intake to the onboard MAP sensor. All the rest of the sensors normally used are optional. A person might want to hook in a wideband 02 sensor to help tuning the carb though...

If this came in a box with the harness and the timing curve already installed ready to go would this make it easier?
In essence this is the same as buying a MSD ignition box to run a carb'ed LS series engine. Take it out of the box plug it in and start the engine.

Last edited by efi-diy; 03/29/09 02:54 PM.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them