Originally Posted By: Nexxussian
Trying this again (what's with this, 'not recognised host' anyway???)

Just out of curiosity, as I have never tried to order a set, but don't several piston manufacturers sell pistons with 'blank' crowns (ie unfinished).

IIRC where I have read this it leaves the crown taller and with no valve reliefs. That would leave fly cutting the piston to final compression height and puting a chamfer on the edge of the crown.

Or am I missing something?

For that matter, if the crown is thick enough, you could carve a 'reverse dome' into it(I mean a dish the shape of the chamber in the head, it leaves the quench pads intact).

I know alot of people won't understand why I ask, as this sounds like 'custom machine work' at the local machine shop (read as a big pile 'o $$$$) but I remember the air cooled VW crowd used to have tools you could do all of these things to a piston, and they were used in a common drill press (even said that's what they were for in the 'destructions' ;\) ).

Point being, we are working with similar materials (piston aluminum, forgings & castings) if you were going to try to do this kind of work, for the street, for yourself (I would expect a race team or proffesional shop to need faster production, as the tools looked like they would require a fair amount of setup for each operation) wouldn't it be worth it to look into tools like that?

IIRC it didn't seem very expensive at the time (for the tools), maybe the price has gone up disproportionately? Maybe they are no longer available? Dunno, the people I knew with the catalogs with this stuff in it have moved away. \:\(

You are correct Nexxussian, I do not see why it seems so hard to get a good quench in a 292,maybe they,(the owners of a 292)see something I don't.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI