Originally Posted By: Nexxussian
Just out of curiosity, as I have never tried to order a set, but don't several piston manufacturers sell pistons with 'blank' crowns (ie unfinished).

\:\(
Nex, your are right, but most of the blanks still aren't thick enough in the crown area to make an adequately large enough dish for the 292's. The piston companies typically have (3)different style of piston forgings, dish, flat top and dome. Most dome forgings are of the hollow dome variety ,and just don't have enough mass on the underside to create a dish or pocket, and most of their flat tops are also too thin to allow for much of a dish or pocket to be created, the dish forgings are made specifically for this, and getting them in an unfinished form isn't feasible, because they can provide them to you finished cheaper than you can finish them yourself, and put whatever size dish in it you need for no extra charge as well, but they still cost as much as a dome piston. I think the perfect scenario would be a blank flat top with a real thick crown to allow you to custom tailor the dish to whatever specific volumn was needed for a particular application. Maybe we need to just go from A-Z on the piston manufacturers and see if any of them can provide us with this type blanks.... Even in blank form the dish and dome pistons are much more expensive than a flat top blank,so thats why I felt the thick flat top would be more cost effective in the end to try to find....

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer