Originally Posted By: vectorsolid
 Originally Posted By: gearhead
Exactly. How are you going to order bearings and pistons if you don't know if the block needs to be bored or the crankshaft turned?

The only parts that are different between the 230 and 250 are the pistons and the crankshaft.

There's more to order and locate than pistons. And a lot of it is finding the source. Additionally, I'm not so much trying to find out what it is so that I could rebuild it. I'm trying to get a positive ID so I can find out if I SHOULD rebuild it. If the motor has bad support and parts just aren't out there, I'd abandon that one and try again. Just like the little 2.3 litre Vega motor. I found out it had NO support in the aftermarket and abandon that project. Now that I know (according to you blokes) that the only difference between the 230 and the 250 is the pistons and crank, I could effectively look for gasket sets, rods, intake manifold, exhaust flanges, etc. and make other decisions that aren't based around the unknown elements (namely pistons and crank), and how bad the block is relating to them. This is all new to me, and I didn't want to spend a week looking for 230 parts to find out I had a 250 and start over. That's all I was trying to get across on that.

and just to poke a little fun around the thread here, this thread would have been a lot shorter if somebody had simply said, the following, right off the bat, rather than playing musical chairs with a guy that has never played musical chairs and is new to the game. "It's either a 230 or a 250, everything is the same between them, EXCEPT the pistons and crank. AND, regardless of all the casting numbers, the only way to get a positive ID is to tear it down, there is no other way, so stop examining all the numbers on the block".

Would have saved a lot of time. ...lol... \:\)

Isn't that basically what I said in my first post?

I.I. #3174