Originally Posted By: George
Thanks for all the ideas, guys. Keep 'em coming. I really appreciate your helpful posts. The automatic transmission expert in town says the 700 R4 has better gearing than the 200 R4 and is much stronger. Langdon, however, recommends the 200 R4. I respect both men's opinions, but Langdon is a stovebolt expert. So, I still lean in his direction.

George

The 700R4 is a little over kill on a 6cyl even if it runs real good, there is also more loss than a 200R4. Look at Bowtie overdrives for any info on these overdrve transmission, there is some real good information on there sights about modifications. Another problem really frequent is the use of stall converters, choose the wrong one or get a cheapy and you will wish you just put a stock one in and in most cases on most mildly built setups that is all that is needed. The 200/700 transmissions both have a low first gear so unless your at the dragstrip there really isnt any need. There is more heresay about these transmissions due to inexperience and listening to others about there so called issues, and in most cases are usually self inflected. Unless you have driven a good hotrod and spent the time tuning and tweeking them as most transmissions are needed when putting behind something other than stock form and purpose. Being I am not that experienced on inline 6's at this point, my understanding is that you will see modest HP gains but the real increase will be in tourque when modding the engine, cam, compression, good cylinder head work, carburation, exhaust, etc. etc. This is the primary concern that is needed when you decide on which trans you decide to go with and how hard you plan to abuse it and how much you are willing to spend to make it last. I beat the snot out of my 700R4 with over 500HP & 550TQ and has held up well over several years, My tranmission has also been modified to handle this abuse. Cost of this trans was something like $1800, dont expect a stock transmission to handle more than about 300ft lbs of tourqe and constantly abuse it and expect it to last.