Originally Posted By: DougE
At the risk of hijacking this thread, please allow me to jump in with an observation and a question.

It would seem to me that when selecting a transmission to begin with, that one should consider not only the horsepower and the tire size, but the entire package: engine horsepower, torque characteristics, anticipated driving style, axle ratio and tire size, but also vehicle weight, windage, towing needs, useage, and the need for economy.

That said, it should be noted that no engineering process is based on absolutes; it is instead a series of compromises and trade-offs, and availability of off-the-shelf components is a factor because the strengths of one component can make up for weaknesses in another.

The debate between the 700R4 and the 2004R sounds to me much like the old arguments between close-ratio and wide-ratio four-speed manuals we used to hear years ago... Sure, the close-ratio four-speed was better for performance once you got it rolling, but the wide-ratio trans was simply easier and more pleasant to drive in realistic day-to-day situations. Massive engine torque and clutch-slipping made up for the lack of a low enough starting cog in the CR trans. A wide torque band made up for wide gear spacing in the WR trans.

To me, it all seems to come down to a realistic appreciation of vehicle usage as an entire package.

Yeah, That's what I've been saying...

I.I. #3174