Here's some additional thoughts along the lines of dividing the intake ports. About 10 years ago, most of the top Comp 6 cylinder guys began to abandoned the age old practice of "lump" porting altogether. One close friend of mine from the west coast that moved from Comp Eliminator up to Pro Stock truck at about that time told me recently that he always wanted to try dividing the port, but Headrick and Self and the other "lump" guys said there was no way it would work and not to try it. He told me that I knew he has always had the best "lump" heads money could buy and had used everybodies in the industry. He always ran a 250 inch engine in several of the Econo Altered classes for at least 15 years and set many records and won his share of national events, and he said he wanted to think outside the box one last time before he left the 6 cylinders behind. He took an old brazed "lump" head he had laying around, and ground the lumps completely out of the head, and just ported and shaped the head like you would a conventional V8 head. He then welded some sheetmetal dividers to the end of the intake flanges, after he contoured them to fit the port shape. He freshened the valve job and took the existing "lump" port head off his engine and put on the divided port head, and then dynoed the engine. He again re-emphasized the fact that he had used the very best "lump" heads that were out there....and this divided port head made over 50 more HP than the best "lump" head he ever had, and he set a new record with the car as he wound down his time in Comp with the 6 cylinders. Now more recently, my good friend Sherman Sligh, who is still actively racing and winning with his 250's in Comp Eliminator, also runs a divided port head, and he says the intake ports flow 400 CFM @ .900 lift. This is about 50 CFM better than our best "lump" head that we used on Cotton's engine. I think that it is neat that Sissell created such a niche and legacy with the "lumps" that has lasted so long, but its also ironic, that he could have simply stuck a .10 cent piece of sheetmetal into the port and created an even greater legacy and far superior port....

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer