Harry, when Darren did this, it was the last few races of the season that he stopped competing in Comp and moved up to Pro Stock Truck. Pro Stock Truck didn't last but just a short season itself, so that can kinda' give you a window as to the time this occured. Prior to that, he had also taken (2) of the aluminum Iron Duke race heads he got from Doc Dixson at the Rod Shop and cut them apart and welded them together to fit his 250. He said that was the most awesome head he had ever had on his engine, but of course it was not legal for Comp(and he knew that),the first time out he blistered the index, and got into tech inspection and NHRA tossed the head out. Thats when he decided to try the divided port idea. He already made up his mind to leave Comp and move up, so he was going to just satisfy his curiousity before he did. As for Sherman, he was an old veteran of the "lump" heads, and it was common to grind into the water jacket to widen and reshape the ports anyway, and they are much wider than the ports you will find on the typical bolt-in "lump" street head. Of course, everything in those heads are much bigger, the valves, bowl area and port height and width. But these are all out race heads, and that is just part of the procedures to get them there. Even with Sherman's and Darren's 250 engines, they still used a 2.150" intake valve like we did with Cotton's 292's. I am curious myself now about the divided port, and will thoroughly test one of the heads I am prepping for the guys in S/A, before I fill the ports with brass, and see what hapens. One head will have only the smaller 2.02" intake valves in it, but the other will have 2.150", so I will be able to flow each valve size from stock all the way up. Im sure with time, Sherman will become more relaxed, and possibly take some photos that I can get from him. The aluminum Iron Duke heads is any easy transplant for the 6's, because they have the same bolt pattern and bore spacing, and will give you a killer 12 port head. There has to be tons of those heads out there somewhere....

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer