So Its been a long while since I got on the board. I have been helping restore a 1921 Seagrave Fire engine for the Livermore Heritage guild, which is a massive straight 6, and rebuilding my 74 Honda CB550 motorcycle (kind of an inliner).

This last weekend I picked up what is going to be the next mill in my 54 Belair. I got a running 292. Its going to get the full treatment, and a turbo. I am really excited to get this one started.

Anyway, today I was just looking over the motor, and saw a spot on the block that looked like JB Weld with rust coming out of it near the rear driver side of the block. I wire brushed the crap off, to see if there was a crack, or just leftovers from a sloppy engine compartment job that the previous owner might have left. The block looks solid, and clean, but now Im worried. I have nver heard of a block rusting to the outside before. What do you guys think? It seems that these blocks have a casting line along the bottom 1/3 of the block. Is that where the water jackets end?

Thanks,