Guys:

I've never had a chance to be involved with a dyno session so just ignore the following comments if I'm stating the obvious or I'm just off in left field . . .

First, it appears that the various combinations to be tested will be comprised of induction, cams (and lifters, and such), heads, and exhaust. From what has been written so far, I'm gathering that there will not be any changes done to the rotating assembly or oiling system. But even so, the number of interesting combinations to be tested will be extensive and the dyno cell time will be limited and valuable. So I'm assuming a detailed "script" will be developed to describe each test combination, and in what order each will be tested. The sequence of the test combinations will probably become obvious based on optimizing the various parts changes.

Given that you may have 6 or 8 cams to test, 4 or 5 heads, 3 or 4 exhaust systems, and maybe 4 or 5 induction systems, the total number of combinations could be as many as (say) 800! Of course, not all combination would make sense (i.e. one of the high performance solid or roller cams with a completely stock head would not be a test you'd likely make) or be of interest. But there could easily be 50 or 75 combinations that would of interest and that involves a lot of part swapping work in the dyno cell on test day.

Having each cam preset with the timing gear is a great idea and I'm assuming it would be worth degreeing each cam and clearly marking the proper gear alignment prior to test day.

It might also help to have a front cover with a removable plate to allow the various cams to be changed without having to remove the entire cover. Maybe someone that has such a cover can lend it for the test.

It also seems to make sense to have the various induction systems to be tested as assembled and adjusted as possible so swapping them in the dyno cell will be relatively simple and quick. I don't recall if multiple carb induction will be tested but I know from experience that just adjusting the linkage to get all the carb sync'd can take some time that you'd probably not want to spend during the test day(s).

Another thought is a simple preventative measure. If you can, I'd consider adding a second TDC mark and indicator on the flywheel as a backup to the normal front pointer. Should the front pointer be "distrubed" during the heat of between-test parts changes, it might be nice not to have to re-determine the exact TDC.

Finally, you might consider clearly identifying each component and keying them to each step in the test script. That way, all the components that need to be swapped for the next test combination (step) can be pre-staged and waiting. This also insures that the right parts will go on the test mule when the time comes.