Originally Posted By: Nexxussian
CNC, I would like to believe that the 'comunity' as a whole would take notice, but there wasn't even a peep (that I saw) after the whole 'six appeal' and <8 series in Car Craft (about 10 years ago I think). \:\(

Nex, unfortunately it seems that ever since the V8 became so strong a contender in the automotive market back in the 50's, that the inlines have just about all but been forgotten. People seem to forget that there were racers setting records with inlines and accomplishing great feats of performance long before the V8's began to dominate the industry. And still today, there are quite a few people continuing to do incredible things with inlines. Even the vintage Stovebolts and GMC engines have some impressive records at Bonneville today still. Several of the guys in Brazil that are using turbos as big as basketballs have even taken these engines to an ever increasing higher level of HP and technology, and need to be recognized also. And its too bad that there has been too many generations of automotive enthusiasts that have grown up since the 50's, that have not even been aware of what has been going on in the inline community since then and the achievments that have been reached by the few that still carry on with them. Its almost like there are (2) different parallel universes in the automotive realm, one that covers all the modern V-stuff and sport compacts and has unlimited literature printed monthly about it, and then the inline 6's universe that no on wants to talk about and has basically had very little coverage in the past 50's years. I doubt we will win any converts over to the inline way of thinking with this magazine coverage, but at least it will be out there in print, and people will have to read past it to get to the rest of the magazine they are interested in. Im sure some percentage of that mags readership will appreciate seeing it featured, and find the dyno results something they always were curious about themelves, perhaps. I think that was what peaked my friend and magazine editor, Rob Kinnan's, interest so much, was it actually will have real data attached to it. Even the previous articles back several years ago of Kirby/Sissell in his magazine, didn't give any before and after results of any parts, or anything you expect to see in a typical engine article. It just had a few pictures and said very little about what to do to modify your inline 6. He told me, you can throw head flow #'s out there all day long, and cam specs and this and that, but with no dyno testing...there is no payoff! Readers want to see the bottom line, or you will loose their interest, he also added. At least, we as a group of inliners will be content to know, that there are those that are still forging ahead with these engines and making a mark of some kind to be helpful and to benefit others who share the same interests.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer