Originally Posted By: chevy2inreno
CNC Dude,

I understand the difference between 250 and 292 cams due to the fuel pump lobe, but what about grind characteristics? Will a 250 cam and 292 cam, designed for a similar application (hi-torque etc.), have different duration and lift figures due to the different stroke/cid?

Removing a lobe is easy on a used cam, but I'd like to know if other characteristics make a 250 cam not a good choice for a 292.

Thanks,

Dave
Hi Dave,
As Twisted6 has pointed out, this comparison is similar to putting a camshaft ground for a 400 SBC into a 283. It would appear mild in the 400, but it would most likely be too radical for the 283. Back when Cam Dynamics was around back in the early 1980's, they and other cam companies seemed to offer camshafts more specific for these engines individually. But, unfortunately, as time has moved on, most cam companies seem to have fallen into the "one cam fits all" selection as far as grinds go for these engines. So, yes I would look to going with a custom grind for the 292 if the specs appear to be more 194-250 oriented. Most cam grinders will gladly accomodate this for you if needed if they have the cores available that aren't already ground to finish specs. If you are going with a hydraulic or solid roller, then you have the option to put any grind on the billet you choose to, since they start out as round lobe blank.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer