Hey there guys. I’m a new member and this will be my first post. I just came into a 79 Chevy pickup with a 250. Now, I like to think I’m pretty proficient with vehicles, but I have never rebuilt an engine before. So, I have quite a few questions I would like the pros to answer. I have done a considerable homework on this, but there seems to be contradictory schools of thought here on what should be done with the engine and so forth. Also, I own a truck, so I don’t know if it would be that different from the usual car applications that I see on the forum. Anyway my question is what I should do with the engine to get a good amount of torque without having to sacrifice reliability or having to constantly fill it up with premium gas (high compression) as this will be my daily driver. For instance, is going .030 over the biggest I want to go on the bore without having heat issues? Would I really have to shave .060 from the head as Clifford Performance says? That seems like an awful lot to me. Would I need to -0- deck the block if I’m using flat top pistons? Sorry this post is so long; I just have a lot of questions so any help you guys could give me would be awesome. Thanks a lot guys
-J