Tom,
sorry to hear you will not be testing the 194 head.
I thought the tests were going to be the same heads tested w/the 292?
Now with you having custom higher compression pistons ,running the small chamber head should show more torque, & you are also running larger camshafts that require higher compression will also complement this small chamber cyl head.

You do not need to the cyl head work yourself. Sure it cost $ ,but that's what it takes sometimes to get the most out of a cylinder head.
That is why there are professional shops that can do this type of work.
Like Sissels,Larry,A.K.A. twisted6 & others.
Twisted6 has done a small chmber cylinder head for a record holding Camaro in it's class.
They made no other changes other than swapping out the big chamber head to the small chamber 194 head & saw a .3 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile.
This same 194 head actually flowed a bit better than the open chamber head that was on there. But that is not where the .3 seconds faster came from, it was mostly from the torque increase from the increased compression, I would think,maybe Twisted6 will chime in on this,as he is directly involved w/the car & knows better than I. Larry?

The port lay out is pretty close to the same if not indenticle as the big chamber head.
The only major difference is the chamber wall is too close & shrouds the valve
With that being said,,,
You need to find a way to properly unshroud the small chamber head to flow equal to the big chamber head.
As I mentioned ealier,the ports are the same. So,it's not the ports that is limiting the airflow.
It's the chamber wall too close to the intake valve.

Do you have old hacked up small chamber heads to try some more serious unshrouding?

An average guy will not know how to work on there heads & get them to flow good,if you do not know what you are doing to a cylinder head,you can actually lose airflow/CFM.

Not trying to scare anyone from working on there own cylinder heads hear.
Are average guys sending you there cylinder heads for you to do the work? If so, why,it's so simple to work on correct?
Plus you need the correct tooling etc.

I can't tell you have many times my friends cylinder head shop have recieved cyl heads that have been ported @ home & basically detroyed the cyl head,& or just absolutely killed the airflow.
Customers even try to do certain machine operations @ home.
Then they send there heads to my friends shop to do a valve job.
Some are so bad,the shop refuses to do any work on there heads.

I do know how to port heads,I know what a good flowing port should look like,but I do not have the experience to correctly do a high performance valve job,I leave that for my friend.
My friend is much better porting than me & has much more experiences on different chamber shapes & what type of porting is needed for best overall CFM numbers.
Not sure why you are asking to borrow my cylinder head as you already have 2 or 3 of the 12 port heads?

My aluminum head has 2.08 intake valves & flows 320 cfm @ .600 lift.
It has street porting ,not an all out full on comp port job,w/bigger valves.
Still a work in progress,it's not done yet.

Seat angles,seat widths,throat shapes,air entry into the port are all very criticle.
This stuff you do not learn overnight ,or in a year,it takes a lot of R&D work.

Not trying to rag on you,I think it's just a better idea to send your heads to a professional cyl head shop than to possibly screw up a cylinder head.
Two cents thrown & then some,sorry for the ranting everyone.
I just know HP & torque all starts w/the cylinder head & to get a great cylinder head working ,most will need to send to someone that knows what they are doing.
I would like everyone to show up/beat up on those V-8 thingys.

Peace!

MBHD

Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716
Sorry Hank, The "194" closed chamber head is not in the cards for the 250 tests. It was proven without a doubt to me that with the same work done to a open chamber head , the open chamber produced more power. The average guy doing port work on his head will not know what is needed to be done for the "194" head to wake up.

I think you are better to start with a open chamber head to start with.

Maybe you could supply that aluminum head for testing. I will provide shipping. Thoughts?

12 port SDS EFI