Read all you can find about T5s. There are lots of variations in strength, ratios, OD ratios, clutch splines, shifter locations, bolt patterns,and opinions about how well they work. At this point I have a built one from an S10 in my '53 Chevy pickup with a strong 270 GMC in front of it. I have abused it and it is still there. The rear gears are 3.55s. First gear is a bit too low and it is a tossup as to which gear to take off in. The shifter is so sloppy that shifting back into first instead of third from second is a worry. The OD in it is the lower of the choices. I have the stuff to fix the shifter and I have a 3.08 rear end to try. My son's '54 Stude wagon Has a WC T5 behind a supercharged built 300" Stude V8 and 4.27 rear end. It made several round trips from Nevada to Texas pulling a U-Haul at 70-80 all day and got around 17mpg. The rear end became the weak link. Go to out Tech Tips and read the T5 Page for starters. There is a lot on Stovebolt and the HAMB. Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain