Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716
I like your vids. Sorry about the dilema.

By the time you finish cutting that pan out to clear the steering, not much oil sump and reservoir is going to be left.

I vote for using the chevyII pan and mount the dipstick on the pan. Be sure to brace the tube.

Let's see pics of the pass side mount. Tom

Thanks. I figured vids were better than pics.

I'm thinking the same thing on the external dipstick. Also seems to be the easiest thing to do also.

Here's the passenger mount - it isn't pretty but I think it will work. Another person made the plate and drilled 5/8 holes that are there. They gave up on their 292 install and gave the plate to me.

Note the diff in height between the holes that mount to the block and the holes that the engine mount bolts to. If I were to do it over, I'd leave more material around the top hole, as well as the fuel pump furthest to the left. I've traced the plate so that I decide to make another, it should be easier.

When I pulled the engine out to pull the oil pan and put the flexplate on, I'll clean up the plate and paint it.

I didn't come up with the idea for this plate. I got the idea from T. Griffith and have passed it on to a few others over the last couple of years:
T. Griffith's Chevelle

Last edited by 63ChevyII; 04/27/10 12:34 AM.