I forgot to mention this in my first post, but these are the mods my dad and I are looking to do. Each list for each motor (either 292 or 4200) depending on which route we take, they're both so damn appealing but as always each has pros and cons.

Chevy 292 Mods:
1.) extensive machine work as recommended in Leo's Power Manual
2.) lightened & balanced crankshaft
3.) forged steel rods
4.) forged aluminum pistons
5.) custom ground cam (for turbo application)
6.) multiport EFI for stock head (if budget doens't allow for a hybrid head)
7.) Clifford or Offenhauser intake manifold (mod'd for EFI on stock head)
8.) head work & oversized int/exh valves for stock head (again if budget runs out)
9.) turbo exhaust manifold or custom tuned stainless steel tubular headers w/ (both will have ceramic coating)
10.) turbonetics, garret, or greddy turbo and air-to-air intercooler (we'd prefer a split scroll to increase boost response and efficiency)
11.) 3-4" exhaust pipe to either a glasspack or small muffler (if its needed) although Tom's '65 el camino sounded great w/ just the turbo for a muffler

My dad is a bit hesitant to go with a hybrid head (b/c of cost and extensive work), but I think it'd be bitchin' to have a 292 w/ a hybrid aluminum head! My only problem/concern here is future reliablity of the hybrid head and head gasket issues (especially on a boosted application). I am concerned it be plagued w/ problems down the road...any thoughts? The benefits however would be an aluminum head w/ 12 individualized int/exh ports and a fuel injector per int port! The motor in Leo's '54 Studebaker is close to what I'd like to do (only not so much boost, as it'll be primarily street driven on 91 octane).

Chevy Vortec 4200:
1.) engine disassembly so my dad can inspect the motor and check for potential problem areas (most notably in the head assembly)
2.) lightened/balanced crankshaft (if needed/recommended)
3.) forged steel rods
4.) forged aluminum pistons
5.) custom ground cams if recommended (for turbo application)
6.) oversized valves (if recommended)
7.) turbonetics, garret, or greddy turbo and air-to-air intercooler (split scroll turbo)
8.) turbo exhaust manifold or custom tuned stainless steel tubular headers w/ (both will have ceramic coating)
9.) larger fuel injectors
10.) head work (porting/polishing)
11.) 3-4" exhaust pipe to either a glasspack or small muffler

Both motors are so appealing, I wish I had the money to build up both! The 292 bored .060 over (302ci) has that extra 40+ ci over the 4200 and looks so clean when finished (looks like a classic motor w/o all the plastic crap covering it up like today's motors), but has a poor head design. The 4200 has all of today's technology and innovation, but looks ugly (compared to the classic 6's) and has a lot of electronics and plastic/composite parts (just more stuff to break is the way I look at it lol). As you can see, extensive work will be done to either motor we choose. So any help/insight/knowledge/advice would again be greatly appreciated! Thanks for all your contributions already!!!

"If you're gunna do something, do it to the best of your ability...or else what's the point?"