Originally Posted By: De-Gee's71

Chevy Vortec 4200:
1.) engine disassembly so my dad can inspect the motor and check for potential problem areas (most notably in the head assembly)
2.) lightened/balanced crankshaft (if needed/recommended)
3.) forged steel rods
4.) forged aluminum pistons
5.) custom ground cams if recommended (for turbo application)
6.) oversized valves (if recommended)
7.) turbonetics, garret, or greddy turbo and air-to-air intercooler (split scroll turbo)
8.) turbo exhaust manifold or custom tuned stainless steel tubular headers w/ (both will have ceramic coating)
9.) larger fuel injectors
10.) head work (porting/polishing)
11.) 3-4" exhaust pipe to either a glasspack or small muffler

Both motors are so appealing, I wish I had the money to build up both! The 292 bored .060 over (302ci) has that extra 40+ ci over the 4200 and looks so clean when finished (looks like a classic motor w/o all the plastic crap covering it up like today's motors), but has a poor head design. The 4200 has all of today's technology and innovation, but looks ugly (compared to the classic 6's) and has a lot of electronics and plastic/composite parts (just more stuff to break is the way I look at it lol).

Well I'll take up the torch for the 4200....

A 2006 up engine makes 290HP from the factory. Head porting, cams and headers will add 80 to 90 HP. I made 353HP with factory exhaust manifold and lower than stock compression (8.1 vs 10.2:1 stock) with a ported head and cams.

Add even a light amount of boost and your well into the mid 450HP very doable on 91 octane.

The other item to add to the parts list is sleeves. The stock ones are dry sleeves but only about .06' thick. The aluminum barrels are about .18" thick. The crank is fine with a deburr.

Add head and main studs - your good.

http://www.steedspeed.com make a split billet turbo manifold for this engine - I have the prototype on my truck.

The '06 up engine have hardly any plastic on them - biggest piece is the intake manifold.

If you get a '08 or 09 engine the GM electronics is boost friendly.

The head on these engines makes it all worthwhile.

intake flow is >320 cfm exhaust about 220 to 240 CFM. the valve area is bigger than a BBC with 2.18 intake valves.

as for appearance - well when you hit 10 psi - you forget quickly what it looks like... A GT4088 with the smaller exhaust A/R is perfect for this engine.

turbo 4200

before the trubo

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them