Panic, on the subject of quench...to obtain a 0.040" quench, I'd have to mill the deck 0.038-0.040". My old used stock head gasket measures around 0.070 in thickness and I'm told that most flatty gaskets compress to 1/16" (0.0625). That seems like an awful lot of material to remove...at what point should I begin to worry about deck thickness? Is there such a thing as 'ideal' deck thickness on these motors?

You also suggest not recessing the seats any more than I have to after milling...I'm pretty new to these motors, so I'm not exactly sure what this means (I assume keeping the valves proud of the block will keep them unshrouded, but I'm honestly in the dark about this). Are there any special considerations I need to be aware of with regard to the valve seats & deck milling? George Asche seemed a little concerned about cutting too far into the exhaust seat, so I'm not sure which direction to go.

Popper 6, the old roundy-round stuff is cool! Here's a photo of the car I'm in the process of replicating (from the 1952 NASCAR Yearbook);