Progress has been slow...

I have a 2 core crosswflow aluminum universal rad from summit. I also bought some nice brackets for mounting (http://home.earthlink.net/~2drcdan/id1.html). Another guy with an L6 has used this radiator and mounts with a mechanical fan with no problems. Problem is, he was using a 250 and from what I can tell, the waterpump snout on my 292 sticks out further. I'm guessing it sticks out further so the the fan can clear the larger harmonic balancer. There is no way I can use a mechanical fan with this radiator. There isn't even enough room in there for two 10" electrical fans, so I bought two 8" fans (rated at 2200cfm each, IIRC). I was planning on making a shroud for the fans and upon further inspection, it looks as though I will need to bolt everything up to the core support (rad, shroud, fans), then put the core support in the car. Which means, if the radiator or fans need to come out in the future, I'll need to pull the grill and everything else out. I'd like to avoid this if possible.
If possible, I'd like to buy a HD L6 Nova radiator and use a mechanical fan. I know the HD L6 Rad will give me more clearance, but not sure if it will be enough for a mechanical fan. I'm a little upset since I already bought the aluminum radiator and can't return it.
This is the HD radiator:

my original is like this one (notice the wide brackets):

Vince convinced me that I should just install the 700R4 while we have everything apart. This of course means spending more money and more time off the road for the Nova. I better just do it now though, b/c with the hassle the 292 install has been, I may never want to take it off the road again \:D

I pulled the powerglide out and got the 700R4 bolted up to the 292 in about 45 mins. Then I spent an hour trying to get the crossmember bolted up to the car. Since the 700R4 is larger, I think it may be hitting somewhere in the trans tunnel. The transmission mount that I bought is supposed to be 62-67 nova specific and drop the transmission down so that it doesn't hit the tunnel. I will give it another try tonight.

Last edited by 63ChevyII; 06/30/10 02:30 PM.