An update and of course a question.

Downed the PV to 3.5. It's too low for good acceleration, but it seems to work great for checking mileage. I think I will end up putting in a 4.5 or 5.5 based on cruising and acceleration vacuum levels.

I'm on the 3rd change of jets. I'm down to #53 jets from #59's, which is where I started. The mileage has gone from 12 to 16.5 mpg! A 37.5% increase :).

But with the #53's the plugs began turning a light shade of white (lean indicator). Question, is a light shade of white OK, or should I go back to #54's?
I think I'm ready to drill the PVCR's (after you guys let me know about the plug coloration) as described by Panic and T Lowe in previous posts. And then I have to adjust the secondaries, via a spring change, to come in a little quicker. They're currently coming too late (but I think that's OK while I'm checking mileage.)

FYI, with the #53's there is a noticeable difference in performance from the #59's - sluggish is an understatement! The performance has steadily decreased as the mileage has increased.

On another note, presently the carb jetting has taken a back seat to a brake issue. Over the July 4th weekend I towed a 2500lb boat and trailer and had to make a panic stop at 65 mph on an Intersate (people drive like idiots! ) It pushed up the schedule on the manual front drum conversion to power front discs. Hopefully it will be done within a week or so.

Looking for input - Thanks ;\)

If at first you don't succeed,
then read the directions and try again.