I'm trying to adjust the timing, idle mix, and stop my 250 from turning over backwards when I turn it off (diesel I think it's called). The factory says 33 degrees on the dwell and TDC for timing. I've tried setting it at 0 and 2 degrees advanced where it doesn't diesel much if at all but the mix screw has to be about 1/8 of a turn out of completely in for it to run well. Then when I set it to 4 degrees advanced, about a 1/4 of a turn is where it's best. But once I set it past 2 degrees advanced, it starts to diesel a lot. I've set it to somewhere around 12 degrees advanced (just a guess) and then I can turn it out about a full turn for it to run well. I've rebuilt the carb twice and double checked everything on the second rebuild. I've resealed the manifolds with a new gasket, replaced the internals of the dizzy and set the points to 30 degrees.

What should the timing be set at before it starts pinging? I use 87 octane.

Someone mentioned before that I needed to use an idle solenoid but I don't see how that helps. What's the point of the idle solenoid if I have an idle screw?

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.