Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585
The whole premise of these dyno tests to begin with was to focus on the average street build-up that the average Joe would have done to his engine. And guess what, most of the combos tested were the result of what those average Joe's wanted to see tested, because those components were what they would expect to use for their engine builds. These guys are only going to have simple basic machine work done to their engines, and only be buying the common parts that are available like the Clifford and Offy intakes and so forth. There is no doubt or debate, that with extra money, extra labor and extra effort, the 194 head can possibly show gains beyond that of the open chamber head, but extra money, extra labor and extra effort will be required for the 194 head to do that! But that simple average Joe isn't going to spend that extra to do that...thats the bottom line!

99% of the people that will ever build these engines on this forum are after the "most bang for the buck", because they want just a simple, basic, reliable engine to cruise and drive, with maybe an occassional blast down a country road once in a while.

CNC is describing me as one of the many that have been helped on this forum. 'Most bang for the buck', simple and reliable describe my build.

I have less than $1350 in my engine and I have a setup that'll spin the tires in a couple of gears, won't give up on any hill at 65+ mph and I'm getting just under 17 mpg in a 4600 lb truck. That's pretty respectable for the money spent, I think, considering the starting point. As far as reliability, I have over 11k miles on it with one break down (broke a rocker), and if I would've known what I was looking at when I installed the rockers, then I would of known that I needed new ones.

Of the money I spent I have $400 in the head consisting of valves, lumps and machine work. I'm sure that Larry and others can make a 194 head run and flow like like the wind, but I believe that the machine shop bill alone would be more than my total head expenditure, and maybe more than double. Let's remember that we're not preaching to the choir, but rather that we're trying to build and help the congregation ('the average Joe'.)

Just one guy's opinion, so take it for what it's worth. Thanks

If at first you don't succeed,
then read the directions and try again.