Quote from Randy S. Hager
Hey, I know I'm not an OFFICIAL II memeber, just the BB but I'm staying away from this board because it seems all I see is MBHD do nothing but bash others efforts, except his frends. I really don't know what he has against Tom but I've got the idea that He hates Tom for selling the Lump Ports like Larry's. Yea, I know Hank,......didn't need anymore people here anyways.....RIGHT! (If it means anything...I have LARRY's lumps and Tom doesn't hate me he helps me)

BTW.....wonder how many really do join the II after a few weeks, month, years on this BB?????

Randy,
Thanks for the nod, I try to help anyone that wants it. Working on these inline engines is just something I enjoy doing. Some guy's go to the bar each night, I go to the shop. It's alot closer to home. Had my daughter out with me making Lumps last night. She likes running the mill and is getting comfortable doing it. The boy is helping me work on the farm buggy and is starting to get excited. Know I would at his age.
Sorry we could not meet up in Texas this summer. There will be another time.

Quote by JimW
CNC is describing me as one of the many that have been helped on this forum. 'Most bang for the buck', simple and reliable describe my build.

I have less than $1350 in my engine and I have a setup that'll spin the tires in a couple of gears, won't give up on any hill at 65+ mph and I'm getting just under 17 mpg in a 4600 lb truck. That's pretty respectable for the money spent, I think, considering the starting point. As far as reliability, I have over 11k miles on it with one break down (broke a rocker), and if I would've known what I was looking at when I installed the rockers, then I would of known that I needed new ones.

Of the money I spent I have $400 in the head consisting of valves, lumps and machine work. I'm sure that Larry and others can make a 194 head run and flow like like the wind, but I believe that the machine shop bill alone would be more than my total head expenditure, and maybe more than double. Let's remember that we're not preaching to the choir, but rather that we're trying to build and help the congregation ('the average Joe'.)

JimW,
I did those dyno tests just to be able to help guys like you, me and countless others. Most guy's simply want the most bang for the buck, proven formulas. There are not enough people working on these engines anymore and so much knowledge has been lost. Machine shops will look at you cross eyed when you bring in a inline project. Most of the kids working in those shops have never touched a inline project. I am glad your truck turned out so good. It has made a very dependable cruiser for you. If I remember correct, you and your sons project too.

Hank,
Maybe you have had good experiences with a 194 head. Great. I ran one on my N/A 292 for many years. It had a Clifford 270 cam and 1.94/ 1.6 valves and porting. It ran good, had a lumpy idle and only put down a 16.9 in the 1/4. Always thought something was holding it back. Now I know the flow was not as good as it should have been. After doing these dyno tests, testing all those cams, heads, intakes combos. Would I run a 194 head, NOPE.

Is it a option, yes. It can gain you easy compression and may be really good to use on a low rpm engine. But ussually low rpm engines are working hard at a low rpm and will suffer from detonation easier if the compression is turned up. The 194 headt will limit the flow on intake and exh valve. The only way around this is the open up the combustion chamber. It is hard to get a shop to install Lumps/ oversize valves/ port inline heads economically. Who is going to do chamber work economically?

That is why I keep saying the open chamber head is the best head to start with. Most guy's build street engines.

I was also at the track when MRHotRod 6 (Mike Bareli) blew his engine at the Iowa convention in 2008. It was a bad deal. Helped pull the engine down to review the damage. That engine had a Open chamber head.

If it not a open chamber, then it is one heavily modified 194 head. Well it is certainly opened up in this pic.

Tom

Last edited by tlowe #1716; 12/07/10 10:59 PM.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com