Tom:kind of late but saw this just now,don't know if You got it done or still waiting for answers.

Here's what I know about this: You should find a 4.0 the prefered years are 1991-1996 since they have the "good" head that flows appr. 209 cfm @.500 with 28" without any kind of work (can be ported to 240-250 cfm without to much effort)the older ones 1986-1990 does have 174 hp (20 less than the later)and works also.

Cliffords sells intakes for both models "Hi-port & Straight-port" but I prefer the Offenhauser Dualport made for the older 258 engine,it can easily be adapted to the 4.0-head.

All transmissions that fit behind the "old" 258 fits the 4.0 as well,I use a TC904 behind a 1989 4.0 with the flexplate and tq-converter from a 1973 Hornet,fits without any modifications,just a simple bolt-on...

The AMC/Jeep inlines are really nice to work on,mine is in a t-27 Hot Rod that I tried to make look a bit like it was built in the late fifties,so EFI and Electronic distributor was changed to Offy-intake and a Holley 4v and a stock points-distributor just for the right "look" "Ignitor inside..."everything drops right in:no modifications.

Even changed the waterpump to the older one with a v-belt since there was no serpentine-belts around in that era I would like the car to belong in,same stuff there,just a bolt-in.

I could go on and on about this but since I don't know if You sorted it all out allready or gone the everybody-got-one-Chebby-way,I think I stop now and if I can enlighten You some more just send me a PM or such:then I can tell You more about this stuff and maybe a bit about how simple it is to build a low-buck stroker out of them...I've done it and I'm just a stupid Swede...

Str8-6 Hell Yeah