I know I really should get corky bell's book but can you guys just run me the basics so I can make a educated decision?

What determines turbo "size"? Trim size? Compressor housing choice? Turbine choice? Inducer/exducer size?

I've looked through and the T04E looks to be a fairly big compressor housing. 2" outlet, 2.75"-3.00" inlet.
I'm not exactly sure what trim I looking for but i would assume a small one. Here are the available trims on a T04E from the turbonetics site
TO4E Compressor Wheels
Inducer dia. Major dia.
40 trim 1.870 3.00
46 trim 2.003 3.00
50 trim 2.122 3.00
54 trim 2.168 3.00
57 trim 2.227 3.00
60 trim 2.285 3.00
so maybe a 46-54 trim? and larger as a need/want?
and it's you guys have already said I need either a .63 housing (mbhd) or a .84-.96 (tlowe) but I'll probably go with a a .63 because that seems to be the A/R of all of the turbos I'm looking at and I don't want to risk slow spooling.

So really wouldn't I just get a T3 (turbine)/T04E (compressor) turbo with a with a .63 A/R and a small trim and use that for my low-boost setup and then when I build the block and am ready for the high-boost setup, raise the boost and change out the blades for a higher trim?

EDIT: just saw turbo-6's comments right after I posted, so go with a little bigger A/R so boost will come in later and not destroy my mileage and get a low trim for my low boost is the direction he's going. So now it seems to be a low-medium trim and then a .7x A/R with a T3/T04E turbo. That about right?

EDITED EDIT: just read tlowe's PM and it didn't occur to me to use a compressor different than a T04x. I didn't think about using a 60-series. I seem to find more usable A/Rs in these bigger turbos. So this one seems to be about all I need? Any comments? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-Super-...#ht_3389wt_1042

EDITED EDITED EDIT: I know i need to stop editing but which is the A/R and trim that matters? the turbine or compressor side?

Last edited by snowman4839; 12/16/10 08:04 PM.

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.