Originally Posted By: snowman4839
If I did get a turbo cam along with the upgrades to the valvetrain, could I run it N/A until I actually get the turbo stuff? Would it run any better/worse?
I would venture to say a turbo grind cam will not run any worse than your stock cam,probably will run better depending on specs of camshaft. The stock cam in your engine has pretty pathetic specs IMO. Just as bad as my Syclone camshaft.
MBHD, I know. As I've been thinking about it more and more, I've been thinking about how I should probably save up and get a Garret or Turbonetics or some good brand turbo rather than a eBay turbo. I'll leave the cheap stuff to the less important things like the BOV or the wastegate.

That is why I was suggesting a used Buick GN or a Stock Syclone turbo.
Price range will be $150 -$250 on average for a stock good working turbo,, sure there is a risk in buying used,but the rebuild kits are cheap incase you get a turbo that needs seals. The rebuild kit for my Mitsubishi was $50.
Shop wisely (if you go this route) on forums & read there feedback ratings for there dealings w/other members on the boards.The GN turbos are just oil cooled while the Syclone & Tyhoon turbos are oil & water cooled.

The GN turbos have a 3 bolt round inlet to the turbine,not as good as a T3 mounted turbo like the Sy/Ty's have.

Note: The stock Mitsubishi turbos on Syclones can easily be upgraded.
The Syclone makes 280 HP stock,guys have run the stock turbo up to 320 HP.
On the next upgrade/bigger direct replacement Mitsu turbo ,the TD06H-20G, http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/syclone-typhoon-tech-forum/210818-turbo-sale.html

which I dynoed my stock longblock made 386 HP & 550ft lbs of torque.
I then upgrade the compressor wheel to a 60-1 wheel,estimated HP is 400+ .
What is holding back having more power is by me switching to a 14 CM turbine housing,,, but, I would need @ least a stall of 2600-2800 rpm. Holding off till later for the converter swap.
Below are pics of a stock Syclone compressor wheel & a 60-1 wheel installed in a stock/modified compressor housing.
I made the billet 3" inlet from the previous 2.75" inlet.

I also tried different CM turbine housings,here is a 14 cm, 10cm,& 8 cm,the 12cm is on my Syclone as we speak.

as you can probably tell or maybe think,,, I do actual testing on cars on the street/track not just typing on keyboards.
I have owned my Syclone since 1998 & the first turbo build I did was back in 1987 on a 1980 VW Schirroco(SP)fun project BTW & quick!

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI