I feel the need to ramble a bit, here's the way I remember it...

The '41 GMC was the first of the new style that ran from '41 to the '47 first series.

It was unique in a few ways, the parking lights were 2 piece die cast where the later ones were stamped tin. Also the grill and bumpers were chrome, the right door handle had the key lock in the handle, where '42 and later had the key lock in the door below the handle, and the cardboard headliner was 2 piece with screws across the center of the cab, as opposed to the later one piece headliner.

During the war, the trucks produced had painted grills and bumpers, plastic coated door and window handles, and eventually the body seams weren't even leaded in. The chrome came back with the '46 model.

The 1/2 and 3/4 ton used the same body/frame/bed options with suspension differences, and came standard with a 3 speed trans. All GMC beds in these years had steel floors.

The 6 lug wheels came in 15", 16", and 17" sizes and interchanged with the Chevrolet. Starting with the one ton rated chassis they had 10 lug wheels, the one ton usually had 17" and the 1 1/2 ton 20", but had larger lugs than Chevy. The front fenders on the larger trucks had larger wheel openings.

I drove a '41 GMC half ton with a 228" and 7.60x16s 100 miles a day to work and back for several years in the '80s in all kinds of weather, quite an experience. The 228" is a good, dependable engine for a daily driver.

Tim

Tim Tenold
I.I.#498