Originally Posted By: snowman4839
Well I know SPAs are about $600 new so what do they cost used? because my max would be about $350 or $400 if I save this summer.

The problem is there are not many here in the US, so used would most likely be hard to find.

And I'm planning on getting a different engine so that I can do the work in my leisure and not worry about throwing it together one weekend and throwing it back in and hoping it works... As well as the fact, I can leave the original engine low-milage and untouched internally. Anyone know where to look for a 250 in the midsouth in the low $100s? I've seen quite a few running 250s on craigslist for $100-150 but they're all around 3-4 hours away... Also since I'm planning on machine work, can I look for 194s and 230s since the 250 is just a stroked 230 and the 230 has the same bore as a 250 and I can bore the 194
NO! 194 block cannot bore that big.
to a 230 and then put a 250 crank in it? Or are there some problems with compatibility?

I say, w/todays gas prices, better off building a smaller engine like a 250,,, if you want more power from a 250, turn up the boost along w/tuning
It's easier to get better mileage from a smaller engine than the big 292 IMO

Lastly, not to add to all of the plan changing or anything, but since I've decided to get a project engine, this provides the opportunity for a 292... Would this just add to the confusion? Or would it be a worthwhile investment? Or is it not good to put in an a-body car? I know they have different motor mounts, I think different clutch mounts, and different fuel pump lobe placement than a 250. Is it just more trouble than it's worth? I just thought I'd throw the idea out there because I can get one for about the same price as a 250.

EDIT: and for the hell of it, what do you guys expect my horsepower limits would be with forged rods and pistons and the stock crank (which I've read is VERY strong). Because if I do end up getting all of that, could I just throw a big turbo on it, tune it, and drag it on the weekends?

350-500 HP to the wheels. can be done pretty easy w/the correct supporting parts.

12 port SDS EFI