I would bet that if there's a 1 ton's worth of spring pack back there, that removing any amount of springs would smooth out the ride. Or am I mistaking your model for a 1/2 ton? Look at how many springs are under a 1/2 ton chevy pickup. Then check out something smaller like an S-10. Removing springs will alter the ride, but there's no way to tell until you have it back together. Keep this in mind, it'll also alter your vehicle ride height. Newer trucks use(d) a nylon button, so I can't see how that wouldn't hurt to use an anti-friction surface between them. Although it could cause the spring leaves to "walk" out from each other without steel keeper straps around the outsides. The shock selection would be a matter of choice, as far as what's available. Most manufacturers have 2 or 3 series of shocks, depending on whether the driver wants for feel, a "truck" ride, or a softer car-type ride. Monroe, for instance, carries a Gas Magnum(heavy duty),a Sensa-Trac(comfort ride), and a Monroe-Matic(el cheapo budget shock) for trucks. Depending on how low the truck sits after taking out springs(if that is the route you take), unless you fab spacer blocks to retain factory height, you'd have to measure stock shock length and compare that to how much lower you are, and either hope you don't bottom out, or find a proper length shock. But you probly knew all that.