Originally Posted By: Magneto
67pete
I would be very interested in how you built your motor.
I just bought a 63 BelAir 4dr, 230/6, 3on the tree with 27,000 original miles. Really a sweet ride. Wish it was a 2dr but then again there is something kinda neat about a 4dr.
Made up my mind before I brought it home I would keep the six as every body has a small block.
Look forward to hearing more as I am new to the inline stuff and I am also new to this forum.

Magneto,

I built it based off of what I read on this forum. Search and read for yourself. You can find alot more details about my build here:

[url=http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showthread.php/473-My-67-Chevelle-300/page10][/url]

The real short story is spend your money on the head, intake and exhaust. The first thing I did was gain 28 cubic inches by getting a 250 to replace the 230 and rebuilding it with stock replacement .040 over pistons. I looked at fancier pistons for more compression but they are all expensive. Then I bought a lump port head with 1.84/1.60 valves from a member of this forum. Both the head and block were decked a bit for some more compression. I'd guess it is about 8.8:1. I stuck in a Comp 260H cam (pn CL61-233-4) and bolted on an Offy intake with an Edelbrock 500cfm carb. Other popular choices (not mine) are the Clifford intake and Holley 390 carb. For exhaust it was Langdon's split manifolds and true dual exhaust through a pair of Cherry Bomb glasspacks.

Have fun with your BelAir, you have the same thoughts about the six that I did. You get a much bigger reaction at the cruise night with the six than with a run of the mill sbc.

67 Chevelle 300 2 door post
230 Inline six, 3 on the tree
58k Original miles