I bought a used Chevy 400 engine block (sorry folks...), fully race prepped, still with some good life left (it's 30 over). It will be used with alky Hilborn injection on a slingshot I'm restoring.

The thing is that the block is o'ringed, copper o'ring! The cylinder #1's o'ring was slightly dented, so I decided to replace it. I bought the .041' copper wire from Isky. However, when removing the old wire from the block, I was surprised to find it fully glued to the o'ring groove with super glue.

Is it common to super glue the copper wire to the bottom of the o'ring groove? Is it really required?

I re-wired this cylinder twice, applying super glue to the o'ring groove, but it have the IMPRESSION that the super glue is hardening faster that I am able to fully seat the wire. In other words, it feels like that hardened super glue is 'lifting' the o'ring, unevenly. I'm going to use the SCE copper head gasket, .043" thick, therefore the o'ring shouldn't protrude more then .010" above the block deck, but I've been measuring as high as .016".

Can you guys share your experience in installing copper o'rings?

Thnaks!

Keep it INLINE!
Early 173" FED (still motorless)
Ricardo
I.I.# 4784