Ok.. I'm not a novice.. I know my way around engines. But this one is driving me insane. Chevy Nova, 230 inline 6. Single carb. Here's how the exhaus sounds like:

putt putt putt putt putt PHUTT putt putt putt putt putt PHUTT putt putt putt putt putt PHUTT putt putt putt putt putt PHUTT putt putt putt putt putt PHUTT putt putt putt putt putt PHUTT putt putt putt putt putt PHUTT putt putt putt putt putt PHUTT putt putt putt putt putt PHUTT putt putt putt putt putt PHUTT putt putt putt putt putt PHUTT putt putt putt putt putt PHUTT putt putt putt putt putt PHUTT putt putt putt putt putt PHUTT putt putt putt putt putt PHUTT

...you get the idea.

Did a power balance test, pulled a plug wire off one at a time while it was running. #6 plug wire had virtually no impact. Pulling any other wire made a significant change.

Compression pressure even with #5. Leakdown, while not great, was even with #5. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Replaced good points and condenser with a Pertronix pointless kit. No change.

New rings and pistons about 2 years ago. New bearings and re-seal this summer. Runs richer now, I had intake air leaks. But the engine ran like this before the re-seal and bearing job too. I leaned it out a little, no help. I have an O2 bung on the exhaust but it's pointless to try and read mixture if #6 isn't contributing.

I loosened the #6 valves a little, no change. (Hydraulic lifters).

I'm about to remove the intake to look if something got in there at some point. But I doubt that's it.

I would hate to pull the head off, but I might.
Then I could upgrade to a better head gasket for whatever future use I might come up with (evil grin)

I don't say this often, but I'm stumped. Hoping to hear from someone who's had similar problems.

Jan