MBHD: Why wouldn't I "necessarily" need a new valvetrain? Wouldn't it make sense to maximize the potential of a blow-through setup with a turbo cam? How much power would I lose not using a turbo cam?
So if a new valvetrain isn't "necessary", doesn't that mean the redline will be the same? Which means it won't be a high rpm motor? Which means I don't need ARP hardware?
I said ARP was expensive because head studs are like $100 for a set, main studs are like $50 and rod bolts are like $50. Could I just reuse the original hardware then?

Here's what I'm wondering. What would happen if I just rebuild the engine with new gaskets and bearings (but reuse the old piston rings if they keep good compression), put the old valvetrain back in, and just put all the turbo stuff on the basically stock engine and run it at like 10psi? What would that do? I mean the stock compression is already pretty good for a turbo engine, IIRC a turbo cam is just a slightly different stock cam with higher lift, and it already has a pretty sturdy rotating assembly and good oiling system. What type of power would that make? or would it even be worth putting together? What parts would make the most difference in performance and/or longevity?
And lastly, how weak would those pistons be to 10psi? And how are you supposed to find the right timing if any amount of pinging would destroy the pistons? I always find where it starts pining and back it off just a little to where it stops. It seems like I'd just advance it a fair amount, make sure it doesn't run lean and I'd have a pretty strong motor but I'm still all in theory, you guys have the real-world experience...

Boucher: Thanks, but now I'm rethinking even getting a cam after what MBHD said.

Last thing, I got an oiling kit a week or so ago. Cam with a feed and return line. I noticed that there are two ways you can put the feed line in. Screw it in directly to the threads in the housing, or attach a feed plate with a very small feed orifice. Which should I use?
Directly in

The plate

And with the return line, how do you connect it to the oil pan? Is it supposed to be above or below the oil line? And do you just tap a hole in the pan or what?

EDIT: also if I wanted to just make a short adapter from the 3 bolt to the t4 flange and make it fit, could I just mount the wastegate on the bottom of the exhaust manifold like on the SPA manifold but just do it on the flat part on the bottom between cylinders the 2/3 and 4/5 exhaust ports? And just drill and tap 2 screw holes and hole saw the 38mm hole for the actual exhaust to flow out of? Then just bolt the wastegate right up to it with a gasket and a generous amount of high-temp gasket sealer?

Last edited by snowman4839; 09/19/11 01:06 AM.

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.