[quote=sw9]The rules are open on the motors with the exception of no turbo's or blowers.

I will be running with/against 350 chevy's on an opened wheel car weighing about 1600 lbs.

It would be nice to make it work with 4.2. I might be able to offset the lower torque with some advantages the 4.2 has in other areas:

1. The ability to run higher compression. some say 16 to 1

2. The weight savings 100lbs?. better acceleration, braking and handling

3. Upper midrange and high end power (I just found out my upper range will be closer to 6300 not 5300)

Does anybody know how far over the 4.2 can be bored? I would like to squeeze at least 280 cubic inches out of it.

Steve

Not easily. You will run into head gasket issues. The only aftermarket gasket is cooper and no one has yet had any luck to get them from seeping fluids. The stock gasket is nearly bullet proof but you cannot go over bore.

You will get more power by porting the head, camshafts/springs, headers and careful tuning than trying to make the engine bigger.
Put in good rods/pistons, studs top and bottom. Dry sump if your allowed.
Remember that being OHC the valve train weight is very low - don't be afraid to turn the engine hard 7000+ is easy and gear accordingly. The drag race guys turn these 9500+, on the salt 7500+ for 5 miles wot.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them