Originally Posted By: Boucher
MBHD, not to sound like I am in disagreement, but Why and Intercooler? I have almost the same set up as Snowman. I am running a short intake pipe directly from the turbo to the carb without an intercooler. I have read from the turboforum that intercoolers are much more useful in fuel injection systems but not as much in blow thru applications. I read that the fuel entering the system cools the charge down quite a bit.
I have put over 300 miles on my truck this week without any problems. Many WOT runs with no detonation, smoke, issues. Boosts will rise to 10psi, when I let off it creeps to 11 psi. The only thing that is barely noticeable is that it seems to run a bit peppier when first warmed up. Once the engine bay is fully heated (heat soak) it seems just a little doggish. But not enough to go changing things.

The reason I am so inquisitive is that I am considering clocking my turbo and putting a intercooler system on this winter. I want to get straight answers before I go to the effort and $$$. By adding an intercooler what would I be gaining?

Keep it up snowman. Its all worth it once you blow thru!

Boucher

Boucher,
good question, especially when most car magazines turbo books (in the past), etc, say when you boost only to 6 or so psi, there is no reason for an intercooler.
Now comments stateing an intercooler is not needed/necessary is coming from turbo gurus of the past making these type of statements, I never listened to them or believed them. Just me I guess.

I say BS, anytime you can cool your intake charge,, DO IT!

Even @ a low boost of say 6 psi, you will be surprized just how hot the turbocharger heats up the air.

I know you can run w/out an intercooler I have done so running a Paxton supercharger running close to 10 PSI of boost w/8.5:1 compression ratio on pump gas.

I always planned to run an air to water set-up for it, just never got around to installing it. \:\(

Not sure who posts that an intercooler is not for a blow through carb set-up,? but I would say, don't listen to those people.

You state when your truck gets heat soaked it seems a little doggish, well w/an intercooler, it gets less heat soaked & for the most part will still run good even after the engine is all warmed up.

You will noticed,, especially during cold winter day or even just a cool night, when you drive during the day, your truck will run pretty good, well when you add an Air to Air intercooler & drive on a cold day or cool night, you will say to yourself, this turbo engine really runs ALOT better on a cool or cold day/night.

I will promise you, after you install an intercooler set-up, you will ask, why didnt I install this in the first place?

After you install an intercooler:

You will make more power, you will be able to advance your timing. Better mileage.

If you notice the first Grand Nation/T-Types (IIRC 1984-1985) are called hot air car, meaning, there is no intercooler.
Look @ the 86 & 87 Buick GN's & T-Types, they added an intercooler & other odds & ends (improvements) adding an intercooler allowed them to turn up the boost ,made more power & was the fastest Car GM produced those years.

Both the hot air car & intercooled cars were fuel injected.

On my Syclone running 18-19 psi 9 degree day the intake temps gets up to 120-130 degree F, that is w/a stock air to water intercooler.
I would say if the Syclone did not have an intercooler, temps would be so high @ 19 psi I would need to run race gas.
Usually w/an Air to Air intercooler your intake temps will go down during a 1/4 mile blast (dependant of size intercooler)

Nowadays w/so many cheap (money wise) China intercoolers on ebay, there is no good reason not to add an intercooler.

A decent intercooler & plumbing is how much?
Just an example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/25-x12-X3...=item3a6771ce68

Then buy a plumbing kit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-UNIVERS...=item4cf587e2d0

Together you spend: $232.00 ,years ago you would have to buy a Spearco core or simular, high priced unit, buy the end tanks get it all welded together & cost $1000.00- $1500.00 depending on core size, but you get my point, buying a intercooler years ago installing an intercooler & plumbing would be crazy high dollar ammount & most people would not get them because of costs.
Bar & plate designed intercoolers are beffy & heavier than a tube & fin design.
That is what I purchased, a bar & plate intercooler. IIRC, price was about $220.00 when I bought it.
This is the same size: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...984.m1423.l2649

But nowadays, like I said before, no reason not to run one & yes you will see an improvement.

Boucher, install an intercooler,you will be happy you did & tell us about your results.

B.T.W., never heard about how you got your black exhaust smoke during acceleration resolved.

Also, if you do not get any detonation @ 10 psi, add an intercooler & run 15 psi , & watch the smile on your face get even bigger.
Is the T5 shifting better?

Hope this helps.

MBHD

PS, I do not know if Tlowe took any turbo outlet temps (on his makeshift turbo 250 dyno test) @ only 6 psi ?, but IIRC, he did say it was very, very hot air coming out of the turbo & that was only @ 6 psi.

12 port SDS EFI