There was definitely something wrong but with a 320,000 mile integral head 250 with a beat up Rochester that just would not respond to any tuning and numerous other problems it was just a matter of how far do you want to go with that motor. Wasn't worth it to rebuild it to me. I'm just trying to learn about a subject I am not real familiar with. That being 292's and the best setup for a streetable daily driver.
I think in the short term the best thing for me to do is run the Holley 390 with the Clifford setup I have now and record the data. And pick up a 32/36 Weber with the Clifford adaptor and then switch them and do the same recording and see the comparison. The Weber with adaptor is pretty cheap so it would be a reasonable experiment.
I see one problem with it though which I am not sure what to do about. Maybe you all would have a suggestion. What do I do with the trans kickdown cable on the TH350? The integral head had this wraparound bracket on the valve cover to hold the cable and feed it to the Rochester. It is not transferable to the new motor and carb setup. Still trying to figure out what to do there. Can that kickdown be vacuum operated?